[conspire] Bad Forensics

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 11:49:19 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 10:27 AM, Ryan Russell <ryan at thievco.com> wrote:
> You have a link to a news story or similar I could look at?

Isn't Google wonderful? I googled   ohio black-magic forensics  , and
came up with the following, which does not even mention the Ohio
cases. It turns out that Joyce "Black Magic" Gilchrist operated in
Oklahoma.

Wrongful Convictions and Forensic Science: The Need to Regulate Crime Labs

PAUL C. GIANNELLI
Case Western Reserve University School of Law

Anyway, here's some of what you actually want:

http://law.fordham.edu/publications/articles/500flspub9771.pdf
SEE NO EVIL: WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS AND THE PROSECUTORIAL ETHICS OF
OFFERING TESTIMONY BY JAILHOUSE  INFORMANTS AND DISHONEST EXPERTS

Myrna S. Raeder

Similarly, Joyce Gilchrist, an African-American forensic chemist,
known as "Black Magic" for her ability to sway juries with
evidence only she could see, [but not for the color of her skin, oh,
no.--EC] was later investigated when many of her incorrect hair
analyses were disclosed by DNA exonerations. In a reversal of one of
her more egregious cases, the court found that she knew her testimony
was false and misleading because it was contradicted by evidence that
was withheld from the defense. Years earlier, she had been criticized
within the forensic community for her "missionary zeal" that put
"blinders on her professional conscience." On 60 Minutes, another
crime lab examiner noted, "You have to look at the prosecutor's
office. They must have understood what was going on with all those
flags being waved."

http://www.bubbaworld.com/gilchrist.html
Junk Justice and Okie Science - Joyce Gilchrist

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/