[conspire] VNC through a secure channel

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Aug 26 11:22:41 PDT 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:06:46 -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:

> actually VNC does something I don't completely understand.  It displays
> and entire X desktop remotely completely and it shows up as a fresh
> display faster than I've seen X do it over the network.  It seems to
> have a virtual port.

VNC is completely autonomous with regard to X. The X protocol is not used
to display VNC. I'm not sure what you mean by "virtual port" here.

> All the vnc implementations I've seen thus far have a browser based port
> which is pretty fast and runs off of Java.

Now you're talking about VNC over Java, but before, you suggested X over
Java. Those are very different things.

> We definetely want it run off the server although it should work as a
> stand alone without problems as well, but good luck in keeping the
> databases up to date.

So, generally, you'll want to run it locally, and have it sync to the
server whenever the server is available.