[conspire] VNC through a secure channel

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Aug 25 21:06:46 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 09:14:13PM +0000, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:57:24 -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
>
> > No doubt, but I desagree that this should be done.  I want to right a
> > real application, not an AJAX Javascript ram everything through apache
> > with fiddlestix thing.
> >
> > First, this is only the first phase of this application which I hope
> > will fund more aspects to it.
> >
> > Secondly, all those fiddlestix aren't GNU Complient, or built on
> > universal standards.  The google stuff is actually multiple applications
> > written in parallel for multiple clients, and frankly I HATE THE
> > BROWSER.
>
> I couldn't agree more with the above assessment, but then, I'm always
> biased against abuses of Moore's Law.
>
> > In healthcare the applications have been running out of the browser for
> > years, and I hate them all.
> >
> > X is perfectly capable of projecting itself across the net, with and
> > without VNC, the issue is only bandwidth and security.  And that is what
> > I'm looking for expertise in.
>
> Part of the point of VNC is to eliminate the requirement of X, so that
> non-X GUI's can interoperate, at the expense of major bandwidth.

actually VNC does something I don't completely understand.  It displays
and entire X desktop remotely completely and it shows up as a fresh
display faster than I've seen X do it over the network.  It seems to
have a virtual port.

> > They don't have to install VNC.  X11 runs through the browser through a
> > Java Applet.  Eventually you hope for people to upgrade and then you can
> > sell appliances.
>
> If you are even considering X11 over Java using something like WeirdX,
> know that it is *glacially* slow. Also, if you see fit to remove the
> browser from the equation, removing Java as well should be a no-brainer.

All the vnc implementations I've seen thus far have a browser based port
which is pretty fast and runs off of Java.

> > Overall, this is software as a service like google docs, but without the
> > browser based restrictions.
>
> It can be either software-as-a-service like the Google Apps, or software
> that runs locally, but whatever you do, don't make it both at the same
> time, because that is quite guaranteed to be the worst of both worlds.

We definetely want it run off the server although it should work as a
stand alone without problems as well, but good luck in keeping the
databases up to date.

Ruben