[conspire] NYLXS Press Release on the OLPC Project

prosolutions at gmx.net prosolutions at gmx.net
Sat Apr 26 16:11:42 PDT 2008

> From: Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com>
>
> An operating system is more than a commodity.  It becomes the looking
> glass that develops how the user thinks and it literally shapes
> the mind of it's users.

I disagree with this Ruben.  I believe an OS should be something the end
user is totally unaware of, and the difference between them that a
normal user might notice should be minor to trivial.

Now, when it comes to systems administration, then I believe that almost
everything you state and more applies.  Closed source platforms are
deconstructive on many different levels.

But seriously, if an OS were so complex that what you state about how
they condition normal users were true, then I would consider whatever
OS that is to be a failure, regardless of whether it is closed or open
source.  It really should be something the user doesn't notice, and when
they do actually need to configure something like a printer or external
storage device, doing so should be trivial.

One last comment I wanted to make - I actually have thought the whole
OLPC thing was totally ridiculous from the beginning.  What made me see
this was not travelling to Africa or anything, but spending a year
living in Germany, where the general relationship between people and
computers is very different than here.  In fact, I was blown away when I
came back here at how everyone is using computers for everything.  This
is very much a cultural phenomenon, beyond the utilitiarian use of
computers which surely exists as well.  Only, I think americans tend to
mask the cultural disposition towards computers with the utilitarianism.
So it was not surprising to see this american project, seemingly
well-intended, to provide one laptop per child in developing countries.

In reality, I think the whole idea is kind of outlandish and there are
far more things that could greatly benefit children in impoverished
areas than having laptops.

--
Felicia