[conspire] NYLXS Press Release on the OLPC Project

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 26 13:36:38 PDT 2008

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> OLPC project, and specifically the decision to base the project at
> this juncture to a Microsoft Operating System, proponents of this
> change have come out swinging....

Ruben, what you've really written, here, is not a press release at all,
but rather a long and rather meandering personal essay leavened with
some odd digressions onto historical scholarship and lumps of political
advocacy.  No press outlet is ever going to touch something like that --
and you risk having _real_ future press releases not being given a
chance, either.

Also, CABAL's discussion mailing list is not, really, a particularly
good place to plaster with press releases, anyway.

Next, I note some very strange high-bit characters in place of things
like standard apostrophes and quotation marks.  Perhaps you were
including some not-quite-plaintext material?

Last, one cannot help notice your fifteen-line .signature block.  That's
a bit excessive.  Many of us still attempt to respect George McQuary's
four-line limit, and I do continue to suggest you'll get a better
reception if you do likewise.

(Just trying to help.  I hate seeing my friends working hard but
shooting their own work's effectiveness in the foot.)