[conspire] Parts is Parts

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun Apr 13 17:50:10 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:12:53AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 03:59:28PM -0400:
>
> > Do I need a terabyte drive and 4.8 gighertz duel core?  Absolutely not.
> > What I need is a green machine, low power, no fan, easy on the electric
> > bill with a better human interface design.
>
> You can have a badass machine and still be easy on
> the electric bill.  It just takes sensible power
> management, which the hardware and kernel people are

I want PC's without the need for fans.

just saying....

> figuring out now, and the application developers are
> figuring out one by one as they make it into the Top
> Spot of Shame on powertop.
>
>   dmarti at humulus:~$ acpi
>        Battery 1: discharging, 93%, 05:17:50 remaining
>   dmarti at humulus:~$ sudo grep BogoMIPS /var/log/dmesg
>   Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 3197.85 BogoMIPS
>   (lpj=6395705)
>   Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 3191.63 BogoMIPS
>   (lpj=6383273)
>   Total of 2 processors activated (6389.48 BogoMIPS).
>
> And I'm not about to give up the big hard drive.
> Besides all your mail, photos, and stuff, you want
> to keep a copy of your projects, and with git, you
> can keep history locally instead of some Bubble 2.0
> service's data center.
>
> Yes, the Corporate Masters want us to switch to
> cell-phone-like device/service plans, but I'd rather
> keep and bear PCs.

I want the PC.  Stuffing a computer into a phone is what?
	shoving a 21st century technology into a 18th
	Century invention.  Can it get more difficult and
	backwards?

Eh - I'm sick of phones anyway.  Why in the world do we
still need them.  They should have been deader more faster
than the VCR.

Ruben

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium