[conspire] Parts is Parts

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun Apr 13 17:45:23 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:12:53AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 03:59:28PM -0400:
>
> > Do I need a terabyte drive and 4.8 gighertz duel core?  Absolutely not.
> > What I need is a green machine, low power, no fan, easy on the electric
> > bill with a better human interface design.

The thing is, it's not really economical and it's completely
unecessary for all the reasons Rick already outlined far more
eligantly then I'd ever be able to.

One of the realy nice things on my ASUS EEEPC is that it has, aside from
3 USB ports, a really swell minidisk slot, like that of a camera.  The result
is that I carry in my wallet about 16 gigs of storage which has a few dozen
or more ripped Star Trek TNG movies and such, and the entire sound track
of the decades of the 60's 70's and 80's which I'd care to carry.

I'm now wishing I had one of those slots for the server, but I'm fine running
SCP over my lan currently.  I've done some developement and C work on the machine
as well.  As it is, it is several times faster than the develeopment server in the
livingroom which is now a big playstation for the kids, and the 16 gigs in my pocket
aint that much less space than it's 40 gig drive.  Mind you that server downstairs
is also now the mutlimedia box, and yet It's never been obsolete for any task thrown
at it by 6 kids, dozens of installfests, and the scanners, watcom tablets, printers,
and whatnot that seems to have grown off it spontansously over the last 7 years.

Except for advanced video editing, and I mean ADVANCED, franlky, we're all carrying
around a s%!t load of firepower for our email, youtube and word processing.

Small (not pocket size), Green and touch screens is the future market.

all for $150 bucks with sales tax.

For the Packard-Bell head cases Rick mentioned, the future is that the Browser
is the OS.  For GNU/Linux, it has been and it will continue to be that X is the
OS.

As my 14 year old daughter said when she first picked up a Nokia N800, "How do you
make it work, I can find the command line ;) ".  Ignorant kids.  You have to love
them!

Ruben