[conspire] Parts is Parts

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 12 12:30:49 PDT 2008

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):
> begin Rick Moen quotation of Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:15:46AM -0700:
>
> > I mean, c'mon, that's no bleedin' workstation.  That's a storage server.
>
> Or maybe a rack-mount workstation at a video editing house.

In Christian's example, he's speaking specifically about himself and his
one-man Digital Tipping Point video project.  I very much doubt there's
any "video editing house" involved.

Anyway, if for some reason I had 16 TB+ of storage, in something like
nine physical hard drives, that I needed to run off one machine, there's
no way on earth I'd risk running that sort of valuable equipment on a
workstation case and PSU.  I'd use a robustly powered, well cooled,
dedicated storage box -- rackmount or not.

I keep seeing people trying to create major hardware and software
systems by taking the familiar bad design notions they know from fooling
with standalone OS/Windows desktop boxes and merely making everything a
bit bigger and more expensive.  Dumb idea.  An elephant _isn't_ just a
mouse that's been linearly scaled, had its nose stretched, and developed
an orthodontics problem.