[conspire] Parts is Parts

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Apr 12 10:06:11 PDT 2008

begin Rick Moen quotation of Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:15:46AM -0700:
> Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):
>
> > Well, if you have 380 hours of video that you need to organize, then you
> > might need 16 TB of data....
>
> I'd house a drive array in a separate SAN chassis, in that situation.
> Not jam a huge batch of drives into a _workstation_.
>
> I mean, c'mon, that's no bleedin' workstation.  That's a storage server.

Or maybe a rack-mount workstation at a video editing
house.

Some of the video people have the right idea --
they put the drives on the workstation machine, but
then they stick it in the machine room and run the
monitor, keyboard, and mouse cables a long distance
to the editing room.  Kind of like how studios put
all the tape machines in the machine room and the
mixing board in the control room.  Nice and quiet.

Of course, you don't want to use a regular case
for this.  You need a nice, large, well-cooled
rack-mount case.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/