[conspire] Fwd: looking for good FAQ Websites for CPU heatsink/Fan hardware

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 9 00:44:36 PDT 2008

Quoting K Sandoval (indigo.kai at gmail.com):

> Putting the CPU on the Motherboard, and the Thermal Grease is my big
> weakness.  I have never installed a CPU or changed out a heatsink/fan
> before.

I wouldn't worry:  It's not a big deal.

As a _general_ observation (not aimed at you), by the way, CABAL is not
a hardware-repair/assembly group.  Nothing wrong with people bringing
gear _they're_ working on, e.g., yours; I'm just saying that it's not
what the group's _about_.

(There have been times and places when people would bring us broken PCs
and expect us diagnose / fix the machines' hardware _and_ then help them
install Linux.  Sorry, we're not a free hardware bench-tech service to
the public at large.)

> It is true that I will be installing Microsoft XP SP2 on this system.

As the saying goes, far be it from CABAL to tell you your kink is not
OK.  (However, you'll likely be on your own with install/software/driver
problems.)