[conspire] CABAL this Saturday (was: Avast! Talk Like a Pirate Day!)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 18 14:48:59 PDT 2007

CABAL, this coming Saturday will of course include barrrrrbecue.
(Don't forget to roll your arrrrs, tomororrrow.
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/)

----- Forwarded message from Michael Walsh <MJW at press.jhu.edu> -----

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:53:26 -0400
From: Michael Walsh <MJW at press.jhu.edu>
To: smofs at lists.sflovers.org
Subject: Re: [smofs] Avast! Talk Like a Pirate Day!

> dravecky at gmail.com 09/18/07 4:30 PM >>>
>Deb Geisler <dgeisler at suffolk.edu> wrote:
>> Mark Olson wrote:
>> >I believe that I shall nominate that for Best Segue, Short Form for
>> 2007!
>> So much for my rash attempt to have a non-Hugo thread.
>
>But would the pirates have a banquet?

Probably a barbeque:

"The word "buccaneer" comes from boucan, meat prepared in a manner
similar to modern barbeque.  Pirates were in the habit of going onto
Hispaniola and other islands, killing semi-wild cattle and boars and
cooking the meat over an open flame. They often used the meat to barter
with ships seeking provisions."
<http://www.beaglebay.com/pirate_facts.htm>

mjw