[conspire] he.net woes --> seeking ISP recommendations

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 30 19:14:08 PDT 2007

Quoting Eric De Mund (ead-conspire at ixian.com):

[snip]

> And so my understanding was that I'd need to at least
> acquire a new home phone line from SBC/PacBell/AT&T. This is, in fact,
> correct: I would need to "re-sign with SBC" in order to be able to take
> advantage of Raw Bandwidth.

For aDSL service, certainly.

> I confirmed this in a phone call to Raw Bandwidth earlier today.

Mike would know.  ;->  The only workaround would be if they offered
service over some other transport that hits your pricepoint and fills
your other requirements.

> Now I need to sit down and decide if I want to go the Raw Bandwidth
> route. I do like that everything would be under my control.

The nice thing is, given that you already have your own household
connectivity worked out through other means, you could put a box that
you administer yourself on any form of Internet presence anywhere
that has static IPs available, e.g., if you know some _other_ friend
with a telephone line, willing to have your server box live in his/her
basement.

(No, don't ask me:  We have all the servers in our little farm that the
1953 electrical circuits can properly handle, and the aDSL line is
pretty busy already.)