[conspire] he.net woes --> seeking ISP recommendations

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Tue Oct 30 18:21:48 PDT 2007

All,

Eric De Mund <ead at ixian.com>:
] If I got my actual network connectivity from Raw Bandwidth, it appears
] that I'd be required to re-sign with SBC, no?

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:
] _No._ (Eh?)

For the archives, and I apologize if I wasn't clear on this particular
point, these days I don't have any home phone lines, DSL lines, or any-
thing at all from SBC/PacBell/AT&T. (FYI, for telephone services, I have
basic MetroPCS mobile phone service, and for Internet services, I have
connectivity from Comcast and domain hosting and services from Hurricane
Electric [he.net].) And so my understanding was that I'd need to at least
acquire a new home phone line from SBC/PacBell/AT&T. This is, in fact,
correct: I would need to "re-sign with SBC" in order to be able to take
advantage of Raw Bandwidth.

I confirmed this in a phone call to Raw Bandwidth earlier today.

And so the monthly cost to me of a Raw Bandwidth solution would very
roughly be $45 (Raw Bandwidth) + $15 (SBC's $5.79 measured rate service
plus $9-$10 of various fees) = $60.

Thank you, Rick, for sharing your dollar figures; they were very useful
to see.

Now I need to sit down and decide if I want to go the Raw Bandwidth
route. I do like that everything would be under my control.

Regards,
Eric

"Mary had a little lamb; its fleece was Polartec 200 (thanks to gene
splicing, a diet of force-fed petrochemical supplements, and regular
dips in an advanced surface fusion polymer), which had the fortunate
side effect of rendering it inedible, unlike that other Mary's organic
lamb which misbehaved at school and wound up in a lovely Moroccan stew
with dried apricots and couscous." --Children's Literature Runner-Up,
2007 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest, <http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/>
--
Eric De MUND   | Ixian Systems           | Jab: eadixian at jabber.org/main
ead at ixian.com  | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | Y!M: ead0002