[conspire] font used for Ubuntu's "linux for human beings"?

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Wed Oct 10 23:16:49 PDT 2007

Dan,

Eric:
> Are there any font heads in the house?

Dan:
] I'm a... recovering font head, I suppose.

Eric:
> I'm looking for the font that the Ubuntu project uses to create the
> words "linux for human beings" in the official Ubuntu strap line. I'm
> interested in producing some jewelcase inserts for Ubuntu, but can't
> find mention of that font anywhere. (It is not "ttf-ubuntu-title", by
> the way. That font is only used for the word "ubuntu" and not the
> phrase "linux for human beings" in UbuntuStrapLogo.png.)
>
> Here's the image I'm looking at:
>
> o   Logo with strap line
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Official?action=AttachFile&do=get&\
>     target=UbuntuStrapLogo.png

Dan:
] My first guess was that this is "VAG Rounded". Close, but no cigar:
]
] http://www.fontshop.com/fonts/downloads/monotype/vag_std_ot/?sample_text=
] linux%20for%20human%20beings&sample_size=36
]
] The absence of a terminal on the lowercase 'a', or a descender on the
] lowercase 'u', are dead giveaways.
]
] After poking around some more, I ready to tentatively conclude that
] it's Arial Rounded. The 'a', the 'u', and the distinctively flattened
] top of the 'f' all match. I can't spot any differences. If it's not an
] *exact* match, it's certainly good enough to fool all but the most
] hardened expert.

Thank you for this. I appreciate it very much. I daresay you're right
regarding Arial Rounded.  Thank you too for mentioning VAG Rounded.
That's another attractive font I wasn't really aware of. (Now, however,
after poking around for a day, and coming across:

    The Logos of Web 2.0
    http://www.fontshop.com/fontfeed/archives/the-logos-of-web-20/

, I've been woken up to a fair number of attractive presentation/logo
fonts, all proprietary of course, including Avenir, Bauhaus, DIN, Hel-
vetica Rounded, Trade Gothic, and VAG Rounded.)

I wonder if Ubuntu/Canonical realizes that their tag line is rendered in
a proprietary font....

Cheers,
Eric
--
Eric De Mund              |      Ixian Systems      |
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | fax: (321) 600-6005