[conspire] Suppressed post from volunteers at lists.svlug.org

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 29 09:46:55 PST 2007

Quoting Alvin Oga (alvin at mail.Linux-Consulting.com):

> hi ya 'conspire"
>
> why is this a separate list ?? i'd prefer it out in the community
> but thanx anyway for including me ...

"conspire" is the public, unmoderated mailing list of the CABAL Linux
user group, founded in San Francisco in 1994 as the "San Francisco PC
Users Group Linux SIG", which went independent in 1997 under the wing of
BALUG and in 1998 named itself (jokingly) the Consortium of All Bay Area
Linux, because we were helping all the other Linux groups in the Bay
Area run public installfests, and were putting on our own _huge_
installfests inside Robert Austin Computer Shows at the Cow Palace and
Oakland Convention Center.

In 2000, CABAL lost its regular meeting space in San Francisco when
Richard Couture closed The CoffeeNet, and I offered the group's leaders
what was supposed to be "temporary" meeting space at my house in Menlo
Park, while they looked for a replacement place in S.F. to meet.  They
never found such a place, _and_ they never bothered to come south as far
as Menlo Park, so gradually the group became a South Bay Linux group,
and I became one of the new leaders.

(The name "conspire" is geek humour:  What do cabals do?  They conspire.
Get it?)

Will read the rest of your post a while later.