[conspire] Installed Kubuntu Twice

John Andrews jla1200 at netzero.net
Sat Nov 10 19:41:44 PST 2007

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title           Windows 95/98/Me
root            (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/sdb3.
title           MEPIS at hdb3, kernel 2.6.15-27-desktop (on /dev/sdb3)
root            (hd1,2)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-desktop root=/dev/hdb3 nomce quiet ff
noacpi acpi=off apm=power_off noacpi
savedefault
boot

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/sdb3.
title           MEMTEST (on /dev/sdb3)
root            (hd1,2)
kernel          /boot/memtest86+.bin
savedefault
boot

I have installed Kubuntu twice in two days. The second time it started
Konqueror/Internet on the first click. I thought that was pretty good!

Why doesn't the above menu.lst start windows? It also refers to the HD's as
dev/sdb3 and sda1. I thought Kubuntu used hda/hdb as the name of Hd's.

How do you set the boot flags when you format during installation? I think I
set both Hda and Hdb1 as bootable. Is that where it installs grub? Maybe I
should have only one Hd with a bootable flag.
	Look at this terminal output below.It looks totally different than I
expected.I thought that I erased sdb1  which was Mempis. And left  Pclinux
intact. and replaced Mepis with Kubuntu. But I seamed to have erased both and
created a boot sdb1 and  sdb3 as kubuntu.

Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print all

Disk /dev/sda: 15.4GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  15.4GB  15.4GB  primary  fat32        boot, lba

Disk /dev/sdb: 41.1GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  6292MB  6292MB  primary   ext3         boot
 3      6292MB  12.6GB  6292MB  primary   ext3
 2      40.3GB  41.1GB  773MB   extended
 5      40.3GB  41.1GB  773MB   logical   linux-swap