[conspire] Virtual machine application question

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Sat Nov 10 14:41:25 PST 2007

I've worked with it a bit.  It requires a CPU with CPU virtualization support.
AMD64 (AM2 and multicore) and most Intel Core products have that.  The
Intel version is called "VT-x".  I/O is not virtualized (Intel says that is
coming)- I/O is done via the well tested QEMU I/O system.

KVM is the first virtualization system that made it into the mainstream
kernel.  It's a lot more straightforward and has a lot less corporate "upsell"
hype than Xen or VirtualBox (both of which have a "minimal" and perhaps
neglected open source version that's hard to find and the websites and steer
you to the proprietary versions).

Configuration is minimal.  You modprobe kvm-intel or kvm-amd and then you
run "kvm" with the same arguments as you would for qemu, e.g....

sudo modprobe kvm-amd \
&& kvm -cdrom Fedora-8-Live-i686/Fedora-8-Live-i686.iso -m 256 -boot d

gkvm is *not* required.

On Oct 27, 2007 8:01 PM, Ken Bernard <kenbernard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have knowledge about the KVM virtualization app. that I found
> through a web search? It seems this will allow you to run a 32bit client OS
> on a 64bit host. Wondering how difficult it would be to install and
> configure.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
>  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=623&num=1
>
> Looks like it also needs QEMU emulator
>
> http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.htm l
>
> and the GKVM user interface
>
>  http://gkvm.sourceforge.net/
>
> It would be nice if it would just install and run!
>
> Ken Bernard

Best Regards.
Please keep in touch.