[conspire] Ubuntu-seeking attendee from the UK

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 9 14:49:30 PST 2007

(Coals to Newcastle, in a sense, as Canonical, Ltd.'s main offices are
in London.)

----- Forwarded message from Jonathan <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> -----

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 22:05:33 -0000 (UTC)
From: Jonathan <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: CABAL installfest

Hey,

I've just arrived in SF from the UK and some of my relatives have leant me
a laptop (HP omnibook xe4100) to use. I don't have a ubuntu install cd
here, and while poking around for FLOSS/linux stuff in SF, discovered
CABAL and your installfest events.

If the event is still running tomorrow, I'll definitely try and make my
way there. I don't have my own transport but I notice that Rick Moen has
kindly offered on the CABAL website to pick people up from the CalTrain
station at Menlo Park. Does this offer still stand? :-)

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,

Jonathan

> I've just arrived in SF from the UK and some of my relatives have leant me
> a laptop (HP omnibook xe4100) to use. I don't have a ubuntu install cd
> here, and while poking around for FLOSS/linux stuff in SF, discovered
> CABAL and your installfest events.

Greetings, Jonathan!

We do have a bunch of Ubuntu / Kubuntu / Xubuntu installation discs for
various platforms, courtesy of one of our generous regulars.  So,
please do come visit.  We'd be delighted to host you.

> If the event is still running tomorrow, I'll definitely try and make my
> way there. I don't have my own transport but I notice that Rick Moen has
> kindly offered on the CABAL website to pick people up from the CalTrain
> station at Menlo Park. Does this offer still stand? :-)

Sure.  The train station's two miles away in downtown, so most people
aren't up for that walking distance.  Be sure to check schedules, since
the train frequency is not what it should be if we were a _real_
metropolis.  (But then, I suppose I could insert some joke here about
British Rail and the 'wrong kind of snow', right?  ;->  )

Among the things I can't control is the weather (we're still working on
that) so there's said to be a 50/50 chance of rain.  That's too bad,
because the back yard (our usual venue) is a lovely place.  If it's wet
out, we'll relocate to the family kitchen / dining room / living room /
garage.

For the trip back, I'd be very glad, if you prefer, to drive you to the
BART (light rail) southern terminus in Millbrae, near San Francisco
International Airport.  That runs later than the CalTrain commuter rail
does, and might get you back to SF more quickly.

We can chat about that tomorrow.  (BART and CalTrain's schedules are on
the Web.)

----- End forwarded message -----