[conspire] Problem accessing SATA controller

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 6 12:47:11 PST 2007

Quoting Mark S Bilk (mark at cosmicpenguin.com):

> There's a SATA_EN jumper on the motherboard (mentioned in a
> different place in the manual than where the SATA connectors
> are described) that was set wrong.

Aha.  The "SATA enable" jumper would be one that enables/disables the
SATA channels as a whole.  (Some users might wish to disable those and
use just the PATA channels.)  You might also find an "enable RAID" setting,
which would be for Silicon Image fakeraid.

> Question: After 10.3 is installed on the SATA disk, when I
> mount the previous PATA disks so I can copy their data to
> the SATA disk, what is udev going to call them.  It was
> so much simpler before udev!

Um, as a reminder, udev is merely a 2.6 kernel mechanism for dynamically
auto-populating the /dev tree with special (device) nodes that are
relevant to the then-loaded drivers.  To my knowledge, udev has nothing
otherwise to do with recognising hardware and loading relevant drivers.

I'm guessing you really meant to ask:  What devices will the PATA disks
and their respective partitions end up being, given that SATA mass
storage is also being recognised.  Again, looking at dmesg will tell the
tale.  More than likely, the addressing will be unchanged.  If not, roll
with it.  ;->

(Sometimes, e.g., when upgrading an installed distro from an old release
based on a 2.4 kernel to a newer release based in 2.6, the existing mass
storage suddenly goes from /dev/hdXX to /dev/sdXX addressing -- because
the device driver used changes from one of the drivers/ide collection to
Garzik's libata one.  If one anticipates that change, one will just
update /etc/fstab to suit.  If not, it's easily fixable after the fact
with a live CD.)