[conspire] Crashing Problems, Suspect IRQ Mismatch, Maybe BIOS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 22 18:42:57 PDT 2007

Quoting Mark Weisler (mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us):

> I'm having problems with a box I just assembled and would appreciate
> help if someone has time to consider this. Very briefly, the mouse and
> keyboard freeze after about one to five minutes of operation.

Given that you're able to complete an OS install, you might consider
running the Cerberus Test Control System ("Cerberus"), a hardware
stress-testing suite, for a day, to see if it logs any particular
problems with hardware components.

I have a short guide to using Cerberus at "Burn-in" on
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware/ .

Further to Tim's question, which X.org video driver are you using?  You
could be using either fglrx (the proprietary driver from ATI), X.org's
"ati" driver, or X.org's "vesa" driver.  Regardless of which one it is,
you might want to check to see if the symptom replicates with the
others, or not.  That will help narrow down where the problem is
originating.

Also, if the Intel 845G northbridge actually has video-out distinct from
that of the ATI card (which I couldn't tell from your post), you might
just as a diagnostic step remove the ATI card, use the built-in Intel
video, and (again) see if the symptom persists.