[conspire] Oh no! Another CABAL meeting!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 17 17:50:48 PDT 2007

Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):

> Anyone been playing with the newly open-sourced Solaris?  ZFS is very
> very cool.

Initial release of Solaris 10 couldn't deal with the bog-standard
Adaptec HBA on my old VA Research Startx MP workstation, which was a
bummer, because I'd been looking forward to exploring it.  In general, I
get the impression that it's still a _little_ light on hardware support
for non-Sun kit.

Aside from that, a hunch tells me that NexentaOS might be the gentlest
introduction to Solaris 10:  http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki .  It's
a traditional GNU/Linux userspace on top of the Solaris 10 kernel.

Of course, if you want something more adventuresome, straight Solaris
also beckons -- and there are a bunch of other starting places, but I
can't recall them at the moment.