[conspire] Creating Home Partition

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun May 6 00:08:13 PDT 2007

Quoting David E. Fox (dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com):

> Basically I go about it the same way - just have enough free space in
> your largest partition to accomodate the contents of another one, tar
> up the partition of interest, remake/empty/what have you, copy the
> data back and edit /etc/fstab to suit.

Yeah, that works.  You can actually avoid the need to store files as
tarballs, if you prefer, by just copying them using rsync.  (This can be
particularly handy if your system libc and GNU tar don't support
handling tarfiles over 2GB.)  Again, using maintenance media rather than
working from live systems minimises the likelihood of mishap (e.g.,
accidentally copying /proc) or data smearing caused by copying a
non-quiescent file.

(You very likely know all this.  I'm mentioning it for collective
knowledge, and for less seasoned users' benefit.)