[conspire] ATSCAP (was Re: Utility to rescue formatted EXT3 partition & distribution, choice?)

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 20:26:53 PDT 2007

On 3/25/07, Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:59:11 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> > Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
> >
> >> At last month's SVLUG installfest, Peter was strongly recommending
> >> against the use of KnoppMyth (well, actually against the use of MythTV
> >> in general) in favor of a different piece of software whose name I now
> >> can't recall.

Hi Daniel,

   I didn't mean to discourage anyone from setting up MythTV,
   from what I've seen it's got a great user interface and a great
   community behind it.

   It's just that, for the purpose of quickly testing out an ATSC capture card
   with the DVB interface, atscap is very simple to build: just compile
   one file. It has very few dependencies, and it's got a fairly simple
   command-line user interface (and a web interface too, now).

   Also, atscap has the frequencies for the terrestrial channels in
   the USA hard-coded, so it's very simple to get signal scanning going,
   and as it reads the channel names and program guides from off-the-air,
   it's simple to get it going even if you don't have internet access.

   Of course, internet access is useful, to keep the
   time syncronized with an internet NTP server, because the timestamps
   provided by the TV stations themselves tend to "drift" quite badly,
   and knowing the exact time is of course pretty much essential for
   atscap to schedule recordings to start at the right time.

   By the way, I figured out the problem I was having with Feisty Fawn's
   AC3 passthrough -- I'd compiled mplayer (because I'd needed to patch
   it to get the deinterlacing patch into it for the 1080i streams) without
   having the ALSA dev package installed:
      apt-get install libasound2-dev
   So without that, mplayer reverts to using OSS Audio.
   Anyways, it was my mistake -- Feisty's kernel support for the audigy2 card
   hasn't regressed, it was just me that was regressing :)

Cheers,
Peter.