[conspire] Fwd: Ubuntu 6.10

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Mar 23 07:35:56 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:11:06 -0700, Adrien Lamothe wrote:

> The solution to this problem, is to have a scipt (Python, Perl, whatever,)
> that the user can run, that will download and install things like Flash
> player. The script can be invoked by pressing a button in a conspicuous
> place, and/or have a window pop up after installation, asking the user to
> press a button, that will then run the script. SuSE (and I believe others)
> took this approach with the MS free fonts package.

There already is such a script, called EasyUbuntu. However, after having
encountered the attitudes of a couple of its developers, I had to think
twice about even mentioning its name here. Another one, called Automatix,
got a reputation for breaking systems. Supposedly there is now a third,
whose name I forget, which isn't so bad. However, without an in-depth
review, I'll still say to just go here:

http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2007-January/002714.html