[conspire] Utility to rescue formatted EXT3 partition & distribution, choice?

Edmund J. Biow biow at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 15 03:18:41 PDT 2007

mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us wrote:
> Edmund wrote...
>

>> I played with it a year or two ago without much success and it doesn't
>> look like it is progressing too rapidly.  First I've got to get a low
>> profile card that is compatible with Linux.  Any suggestions on that
>> score?
>>

> I suggest that you take a look at  the hardware specs for the Dragon II
> PVR at http://mythic.tv/system_specs.php. This site shows the Knoppmyth
> reference platform (KRP) for the PVR.
> The folk at http://mysettopbox.tv have collaborated with mythic.tv to
> formulate the Dragon II which can be purchased as a complete running
> system or built by an individual using or guided by the KRP. I saw The
> Master, Cecil Wilson of mysettopbox.tv, perform a clean install of
> knoppmyth on a Dragon II and it installed and ran smoothly. This was at
> the SCALE event a month ago (Southern California All Linux Exposition).
> I have no stake in this but would like to have a good free and open
> PVR.
>
> Mark

Thanks for the tip, Mark, I looked over the site and saw a card that
might fit the bill, the HD-3000.  It obviously is well supported by
Linux and is low profile, so it will fit in my case.  The latest version
seems to be the HD-5500:

http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_5500_right_down.html

Along with NTSC the card does ATSC, a HDTV standard used in the U.S.
The card is reviewed here:
http://lunapark6.com/?p=2992

The card runs about $130 with reasonable shipping.  I ordered it
Wednesday evening and it shipped Thursday morning.

Drivers are included from kernel 2.6.18, so I should be good to go if I
can get the thing to fit in the slot (if not, I've got other  desktop
systems that could provide a home).

The card doesn't honor the HDTV broadcast flag, so you can preserve your
fair use right to time and computer shift downloaded broadcast HDTV.
The FCC mandated broadcast flag  would have gone in to effect by 2005,
but was struck down by an appellate court as a violation of fair use
rights, but I'm sure Berman and friends will sneak it back in as a rider
to some future piece of legislation.   Really, I think the MPAA and its
constituents have a much more effective anti-piracy measure in my case
than the broadcast flag, they simply don't make anything I'd ever like
to see repeatedly, save & distribute.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_flag

The card is designed & marketed by a couple of Linux hobbyists from Utah
to provide a good HDTV solution to the open source community only
includes "experimental" Windows drivers.  There's an interview with the
CEO here:
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/04/20/pctv.html

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:20:09 -0800
From: Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us>
Subject: Re: [conspire] Utility to rescue formatted EXT3 partition    &
   distribution, choice?
To: conspire at linuxmafia.com

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:07:59 -0700, Edmund J. Biow wrote:
>> > I played with it a year or two ago without much success and it doesn't
>> > look like it is progressing too rapidly.  First I've got to get a low
>> > profile card that is compatible with Linux.  Any suggestions on
>> that score?
>>

> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815123001
> I doubt you can find a more GNU/Linux-friendly analog card than that one.
> Should go great with the excellent case you picked out.

It looks pretty good and is only $27.50 after tax & shipping.
Apparently the Windows drivers and applications are terrible, but it
works well with Linux, what a cut. It seems to be reasonably low
profiles, as well.
I may order a couple just for friends' computers if they Newegg notifies
me that they are available again (they are supposed to be available on
the 20th).

>> > Unfortunately, I like my Flash movies.  I don't subscribe to cable, so
>> > that's about the only way I can experience a large chunk of Americana,
>> > the Daily Show or Colbert Report, for instance.  Please don't hate
>> me. > Flash 7 barely worked on Linux.  Pictures or audio sometimes
>> didn't
>> > play, there were synchronization issues, occasionally flying monkeys
>> > were emitted by my USB ports.  Flash 9 generally works pretty
>> well.  My
>> > understanding is that Gnash can play up to version 7 Flash videos (and
>> > some 8 & 9), but can't handle ActionScript (no YouTube).  Other free
>> > players top out at SWF v4.
>>

> I have not tried this yet, but clicking this link is supposed to
> magically
> make YouTube work in Firefox without Adobe Flash:
> http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/7175.user.js

I'll give it a try on my future proprietary-free 64 bit install and tell
you how it goes.

My favorite user.js hack changes Firefox/Iceweasel from doing a Google
"Feeling Lucky" search from the location bar to doing a regular Google
search like Mozilla/Seamonkey/Iceape does (at least if Internet Keywords
are enabled).
user_pref("keyword.URL", "http://www.google.com/search?q=");
// "http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&q=".

When I want a "Feeling Lucky" search I use my own keyword search, a
bookmark with this text in the Location field:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%s&btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky

I use 'l' as my keyword, so I just type in:

  l 'search terms'

I'm much more likely to want a regular Google search than a 'Feeling
Lucky' search which takes me directly to the highest ranked page for the
search.  And frequently other search engines are selected in the Firefox
search bar.

-e