[conspire] Gumstix at the BALUG March meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 4 18:44:52 PST 2007

Quoting Jose Medeiros (jose.medeiros at gmail.com):

> Just out of curiosity for what practical purposes would you use such a
> small computer with out video out? From what I can tell, there only
> appears to be a Flash slot, Ethernet port  and possibly a USB port.

The real question is:  Is the combo of Gumstix + appropriate expansion
boards price-competitive for a given usage.  See:
http://www.gumstix.com/spexExpnsion.html  The developers say it often
_does_ make economic sense for deployments up to some tens of thousands
of units, which is where the fixed cost of custom hardware can be
justified over a sufficient sales base.

> Although the commute if far from San Jose, the drive might be worth it
> for the Chinese food. If I recall your group was the one that handed
> out the T'shirts that stated " Will code for Chinese food ", back in
> 1998 or so?

That's the one.  The Four Seas Restaurant upstairs banquet room (where
BALUG meets) serves ordinary tourist Chinese food; if you're picky and
insist on really authentic (and sometimes slightly odd) cuisine, order
from the downstairs menu.