[conspire] Help starve a domain squatter, today (this time in Perl)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 28 21:10:54 PDT 2007

http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/network/  now has includes:
  domain-check.ryan  <- Original Bourne implementation by Ryan Matteson.
  domain-check.ben   <- _Newer_ Perl implementation by Ben Okopnik.

Ben (_Linux Gazette_ editor) and I really admire Ryan's effort, but Ben
wanted to take his own shot at the problem, using his own favourite
language, and I helped him write and debug it.  The Perl implementation
now does absolutely 100% of the tasks one might hope for, for this
scenario, and is pretty bulletproof.

We discovered one surprise, that no amount of coding is going to
compensate for:  Domains in the ".au" (Australia) TLD (top-level domain)
have _no_ expiration information whatsoever published in public whois
data.  None of them do.  It's just not there, reportedly as some sort of
security / privacy measure.  Friends in Australia report that each
individual domain owner can find out his/her _own_ expiration date via
the private domain-record mechanism at his/her registrar -- but that
nobody is permitted to look up someone _else's_ domain's expiration
date.

Accordingly, I've dropped "coker.com.au" from my weekly monitoring,
bring the domains down to 113.

Command-line switches are a tiny bit different in Ben's Perl
implementation, so here's a matching cron script for it (simple-minded,
but tested):

:r /etc/cron.weekly/domain-check

#! /bin/sh

# domain-check	Cron script to check domain expirations.
#
#		This is a pitifully primitive cron script to invoke domain-check
#		by Ben Okopnik ( ben at linuxgazette.net ) against a list
#		of domains in /usr/local/share.  A better replacement
#		would notify a list of appropriate persons for each
#		domain, rather than just Rick Moen.
#
#		Written by Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com)
#		$Id: cron.weekly,v 1.00 2007/06/28 20:50:51 rick

test -e /usr/local/share/domains || exit 0
test -x /usr/local/bin/domain-check || exit 0

set -e

/usr/local/bin/domain-check -e=rick at linuxmafia.com -x=90 -F=/usr/local/share/domains

PLEASE consider implementing this script to automatically monitor the
domains of friends and organisations you care about -- and help make
sure the responsible parties are aware of the impending need to renew
their domains.

My current list of monitored domains (and please note that the .org,
.uk, and .us ones have been restored):

:r /usr/local/share/domains

accu-usa.org
advogato.org