[conspire] Help starve a domain squatter, today

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 28 09:47:37 PDT 2007

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> Sadly, if you run this script on the list of domains you provided here
> *without* directing output to e-mail, you get a lot of entries like the
> following (pardon the long lines):

Well, drat.

As I mentioned to Nick in private mail, I deployed this script/cronjob
in a hurry, after yet another good non-profit lost its domain to
accidental expiration and had to ransom it back from a domain squatter
-- because I felt bad on the non-profit's behalf, and wanted to do
something constructive.  I tested the script with two domains on the
command line, and it looked good -- and then immediately threw tgether
my list of 114 domains to monitor, let it generate an e-mail report, and
again everything looked right.

The problem is:  unfortunate failure mode, when run with e-mail output.
Specifically, if the script returns "Unknown" on a domain, in stdout
mode it says "Unknown", and in e-mail mode it says _nothing_ -- which
is a bit misleading, because nothing is also what it says for
non-expiring domains.

For the record, here are the _41_ domains of my 114 on which it returns
"Unknown":

accu-usa.org
advogato.org
artisticsolutions.org
asvaro.org
bafug.org
balug.org
baycon.org
baylisa.org
buug.org
cafescisv.org
cain.org
catb.org
catwhisker.org
cfp.org
cocoaheads.org
codecon.org
coker.com.au
computerhistory.org
construction-sf.org
cpsr.org
deirdre.org
eastercon.org.uk
eblug.org
eff.org
fanac.org
fsf.org
gnomewardbound.org
gnu.org
lasfs.org
loyalty.org
lugod.org
mib.org
midamericon.org
nblug.org
nesfa.org
opensource.org
orbital2008.org
penlug.org
pm.org
randometry.org
reiber.org
saclug.org
sbay.org
scruz.org
sf-lug.org
sfobug.org
sfsfc.org
sigje.org
smofcon.org
socosa.org
spfii.org
spinster.org
starshine.org
svlug.org
svwux.org
thestarport.org
tux.org
tuxdeluxe.org
usenix.org
vintage.org
weisler-saratoga-ca.us
westercon60.org
westercon.org
westerncon60.org
westercon61.org
worldcon.org
zgp.org

Obviously, the script's biggest problem at the moment is inability to
parse .org domains' WHOIS data.  I'm going to remove those (and the
other three) from the list, for now, until the script gets improved.
Caveat user.