[conspire] first post in a while

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 27 13:00:15 PDT 2007

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> And yet, Microsoft just seems to me to be a very dangerous institution
> which is highly motivated to disrupt the FOSS community.  Am I more or
> less right there?

Unfortunately, you seem to have changed the subject.

_You were not talking to Microsoft Corporation._  You were talking to a
Linux user who was spending time, during his weekend leisure hours, as a
guest at my house, a Linux user who happened to have mentioned that he
does paid labour for Microsoft Corporation during the work week.

What that particular Linux user's bosses during his work week think
about his choice of weekend activities -- let alone your idle
speculations about that subject -- strikes me as entirely irrelevant to
the question of courteous behaviour towards him at my house.

However, _after_ you've properly contemplated the latter question --
which I maintain deserves your attention, and possibly might not have
gotten it -- I'm game for radically changing topics and indulging in
dark speculations about what the discussed Linux user's hypothetical
evil puppet masters are planning by dispatching him to eat barbecued
beef and relax at CABAL meetings.

1.  Serve:

I suppose Winfred could have been assigned to "disrupt the open source
community"[1] by saying hello, introducing himself, and hanging out for
a few hours.

Or he could just be Winfred who dropped by and was having a good time,
and who happens to also be employed by Microsoft Corporation.

2.  Over to you, for the volley.  Aim well.

[1] The coinage "FOSS" remains an extremely dumb idea for reasons amply
discussed previously, and I will _still_ have no part of that sort of
self-inflicted damage.