[conspire] Linux laptop vendors

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Jun 22 07:56:24 PDT 2007

(list added back to Cc:)

begin Bill Moseley quotation of Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 05:22:50PM -0700:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 04:45:28PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> >
> > I have a T60 with the  T2400 1.83GHz processor as
> > my work machine -- the kernels shipped with Ubuntu
> > "Dapper" and "Feisty" do support the hyperthreading
> > and the SATA (shows up as "/dev/sda", not "/dev/hda").
> >
> > My T60 does suspend and resume with the Ubuntu
> > default kernel.  OTOH, I don't have the fingerprint
> > scanner or the hdaps sensor working yet.

> Maybe hardware support has improved quite a bit since I last did a
> laptop installation.  Did hibernate work "out-of-the-box" on the
> Ubuntu installation?

Haven't tried it -- I've only done suspend to RAM.

> Wireless?  Keys for volume and hibernate?

Wireless, yes, and volume, yes.

Another fun ThinkPad button trick:
  http://zgp.org/~dmarti/blosxom/tips/eval-button.html

> > I have experience with EmperorLinux -- they do good
> > work, if you want to eliminate all the "fun stuff"
> > of tweaking your kernel to get all the suspend/resume,
> > power savings, and drivers for recent hardware right.
> > They can also get many ThinkPad models _without_
> > the "Microsoft Tax" if you're interested in sending
> > Lenovo a customer demand message.
>
> Yes, I've been impressed with EmpororLinux, but the pricing is a bit
> high -- since I'm paying for this myself.

It depends on whether you enjoy messing around with
configuring the system, and if you want to start
tracking the very latest kernels.  If either is true,
you're probably not going to benefit from Emperor's
services.   But if you want to have someone else do
the low-level stuff, it can be a good way to go.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org