[conspire] Reality Check: Questions on recommended Wireless PCI and PCMCIA Cards for Ubuntu 7.04

K Sandoval indigo.kai at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 11:05:48 PDT 2007

I am getting ready to do fresh installations of Ubuntu 7.04

I have been doing some research and I see that the Ubuntu 7.04 is supposed
to play nice with Wireless cards now.  Since I will be moving into a
"wireless" environment soon I am looking at purchasing a wireless PCI Card
and a wireless PCMCIA Card.

I have done a bit of research myself and I believe these might be
possibilities for a compatible PCMCIA Card for my Thinkpad 600X

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-Lucent-Wavelan-Orinoco-PCMCIA-802-11b-Mac-Win_W0QQitemZ230148029768QQihZ013QQcategoryZ45000QQcmdZViewItem

And only $10.50 US

According to http://www.prismnet.com/~manojk/linux-tp600x/<http://www.prismnet.com/%7Emanojk/linux-tp600x/>
 this card should be compatible with Linux on a ThinkPad.

And according to:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php/product/1898

*Belkin F5D7010 Wireless G Notebook Cards are also Linux friendly PCMCIA
Card and go for about 20 to 30 dollars on eBay.*

* *

I also need a PCI card for the eMachine.  *After additional research I also
found the *D-Link WDA-1320 and I am considering purchasing one for my
eMachine.

This D-Link runs about $30.00 after mail in rebate.

Does anyone have any Wireless Card brand name / model number recommendations
for either PCI or PCMCIA?

I am looking for suggestions and a stamp of approval.  If anyone has a
recommendation or suggestions, please feel free to share your
suggestions/recommendations/feedback.

-        Kai