[conspire] unusual postion "open source development philosophy"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 22 12:39:53 PST 2007

Quoting Lorne Salter (lornes at pacbell.net):

> Hope this is a legal post:

Note:  On any mailing list, when in doubt, don't just post'n'hope;
look up the listinfo Web page.  (See below.)

> I just got an unusual response to my dice.com resume posting from
> Milwaukee recruiter for Wells Fargo San Francisco (SFO?) wanting a
> SAS database/unix admin  person with open source philosophy for 1
> year plus. I am SAS person just left Wells where I was not very
> aware of much open source activity to go back to health care and I
> am not  unix admin, but I thought it might be of interest to some,.
> Just email lornes at pacbell.net if you want the recruiter email.
>
> Again hope this is OK to post.

Lorne, the fact that you're a mailing list regular (even if one who's
posted seldom) makes your post pretty much OK -- once.  But in the
future, it'd be better if you follow the list's policy.

Quoting the listinfo page
http://linuxmafia.com/mailman/listinfo/conspire (whose URL is at the
bottom of _every_ post):

   While we appreciate the need for jobs postings, they easily overwhelm
   this small mailing list: So, you must submit them via e-mail to the
   listadmin, who'll decide whether to post them on your behalf. Reasons
   why the answer has been "no" in the past have included their having
   already been posted to other local LUG mailing lists. (We get tired of
   seeing the same posts everywhere.)

The largest part of that problem are "drive-by" shotgun postings to 6-10
Bay Area Linux / technical mailing lists at a time by recruiters who, if
they even subscribe at all, never participate in those mailing lists
other than to pepper them occasionally with jobs posts.  Those just get
really tiresome, especially when there are several _dedicated_ jobs
mailing lists:

o  BayLISA Jobs, http://www.baylisa.org/services.shtml