[conspire] Installing Ubuntu on PPC/FW Drive ( My Reply )

Jose Medeiros jose.medeiros at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 02:13:03 PST 2007

Hi John,

I have been reading the thread and although I am not as much as an
expert on Linux as Rick and Daniel, I do have the Ubuntu book by
Oreily and looked up your question on booting from your Firewire
drive. Although it does not state that it can, it does state it can
boot from USB drives, and states that you have to modify Grub after
the install, so with that said since Apple has always used Firewire as
a standard, I am sure that if you have the latest pram update ( You
failed to mention which model you have, is it a blueberry G3? ) then
you may be able to get it to work.

In regards to configuring your Xserver, many years ago Caldera I used
XF86Setup, which gives you a gui config tool, Redhat changed the
command,  and  most Debian distro's Debian use XConfigurator, It would
be nice if Ubuntu had a similar tool, for some reason I thought I used
XF86config, however it is not working on 6.10 version I am running in
Vmware as a guest OS.

http://www.northernjourney.com/opensource/newbies/newb005a.html

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2003-194.html

If you live in the Bay Area, why don't you drive down to the Google
Install fest, I'd like to try and help you install Ubuntu on your
firewire drive.

Jose