[conspire] Knoppix 5.1.0 and Beryl

Edmund J. Biow biow at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 3 00:41:57 PST 2007

Knoppix 5.1.0 was released last week, the first Knoppix release since
June.  As I'm sure you all know, Knoppix is a German live CD based upon
Debian testing/Etch these days.
  http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix51-en.html

 I gave the CD version a spin and I started it with:

   knoppix desktop=beryl

It was the first time Beryl/Compiz really worked nicely with my lowly
Radeon 7000 video card with 32 MB of RAM, using the open source radeon
driver, no less.  All the effect that I tried worked perfectly, very
smooth (it doubtless helps that I have 650 MB of RAM).  I  hereby
formally withdraw my snide observation a week or two ago that Beryl has
real limitations with underpowered video cards.  In fact, the Beryl
setup in Knoppix actually apparently runs best on such anemic video cards:
  "The most successful candidates with DRI and transparency in our tests
were "older" ATI^® cards (i.e. Radeon Mobility) and Intel^® onboard
graphics chipsets. With these cards, many features of beryl worked
flawlessly and stable."

However Knoppix is free software and can not include the proprietary
Nvidia driver, so if you have an Nvidia display adapter and don't want
to install the proprietary driver and still want to play with Beryl
there will be a Games-Knoppix distro released that will include some
proprietary drivers with the permission of the manufacturers.

It was a very pleasant experience, complete with a lovely picture of
Spitsbergen as a background.  NTFS-3G worked like a charm writing to my
Windows 2000 partition.  Apparently if you install the DVD version of
Knoppix it will plant about 10 GB of programs on your hard drive.  I am
really looking forward to the release of Etch as Debian stable.