[conspire] branching/derivative conversation - need for one common announce list

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 12:59:58 PST 2007

It's clear to me that lots of group coordinators spend lots of time
sending lots of messages to lots of lists... when they could be
sending one message to one list instead.

I'd like to recommend we start an initiative to (partially) solve the
social problem of cross-posting - at least in so far as monthly group
announcements go - by introducing a new list just for the purpose of
reaching the wide but diverse linux community.

In a fashion similar to the SVLUG announce solution - where the
regular list is a subscribed member to the announce list, thus
ensuring that regular list members get all the announcements as well
as those subscribed only to announce - we could set up a list for "all
bay area linux related events".

I'm envisioning a list that's members-only-can-post,
requires-approval-for-joining, and has a special requirement beyond
that - if a coordinator for a given group wishes to be able to post to
the list, they must allow that groups main distribution list to be
subscribed as a member of this new list.

This way, LUGOD, SVLUG, CABAL, Bay LISA, and whatever other groups can
all have one easy-to-use means of talking to _everyone_ in one single
message.

Your constructive criticism is welcome.
-pbr