[conspire] PenLUG this week - Gumstix - Thursday Feb 22

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 23 10:22:44 PST 2007

Quoting Paul Reiber (reiber at gmail.com):

> However I'm still at a loss regarding how to give the end user
> an alternative that's equally simple/effective for them to use.

Yeah, it's a point.

The low-tech method, which works well enough with Web MUAs, is copy and
paste.  You do end up having to create N individual mails to reach N
mailing lists, but it's not too irksome for values of N up to ten or so,
once a month or less often.  That's what I've done when I've mailed out
BayLISA meeting announcements.  (Jennifer, on the other hand, crossposts

I could and should script the process, but the situation didn't happen
frequently enough or require enough time to justify that.

Another method that _sounds_ promising but doesn't work in practice is
this:  Create a single mail that has yourself in the To: field and all
of the target mailing lists in the _Bcc:_ header (instead of To: or Cc:).

Unfortunately, that falls afoul of antispam filtering:  Most mailing
lists either decline or hold for moderation all postings "implicitly
addressed" (Bcc'd) to them.  So, either your posting doesn't work at
all, or you annoy the listadmins again.

Cheers,       I've been given a revelation by my e-mail spelling checker, which,
Rick Moen     when I wrote "fundies," suggested that I really meant "fun dies."
rick at linuxmafia.com                                                -- Estron