[conspire] PenLUG this week - Gumstix - Thursday Feb 22

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 23 10:22:44 PST 2007

Quoting Paul Reiber (reiber at gmail.com):

> However I'm still at a loss regarding how to give the end user
> an alternative that's equally simple/effective for them to use.

Yeah, it's a point.

The low-tech method, which works well enough with Web MUAs, is copy and
paste.  You do end up having to create N individual mails to reach N
mailing lists, but it's not too irksome for values of N up to ten or so,
once a month or less often.  That's what I've done when I've mailed out
BayLISA meeting announcements.  (Jennifer, on the other hand, crossposts
those.)

I could and should script the process, but the situation didn't happen
frequently enough or require enough time to justify that.

Another method that _sounds_ promising but doesn't work in practice is
this:  Create a single mail that has yourself in the To: field and all
of the target mailing lists in the _Bcc:_ header (instead of To: or Cc:).

Unfortunately, that falls afoul of antispam filtering:  Most mailing
lists either decline or hold for moderation all postings "implicitly
addressed" (Bcc'd) to them.  So, either your posting doesn't work at
all, or you annoy the listadmins again.

--
Cheers,       I've been given a revelation by my e-mail spelling checker, which,
Rick Moen     when I wrote "fundies," suggested that I really meant "fun dies."