[conspire] Updating the CD/DVD collection

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 16 18:16:37 PST 2007

John Regan recently pointed out to me that my CD collection was wholly
lacking some fairly important distribution -- Kubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft", I
think -- and he was quite right.  So, after consulting Ye Olde
Popularity Contest aka Distrowatch, I've been busy burning these:

OpenSUSE 10.2 DVD for i386 and x86_64
Kubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" Alternate Disk CD for i386 and x86_64
Kubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" Desktop Disk CD for i386 and x86_64
Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" Alternate Disk CD for i386, x86_64, and PPC
Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" Desktop Disk CD for i386, x86_64, and PPC
Xubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" Alternate Disk CD for i386, x86_64, and PPC
Xubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" Desktop Disk CD for i386, x86_64, and PPC
Official Debian 4.0 "etch" 2007-02-16 snapshot Install Disk 1 for
    i386, x86_64, and PPC
Damn Small Linux 3.2
PCLinuxOS 2007 Test Release 2
Linux Mint 2.2 beta 014 "bianca"
SimplyMEPIS 6.5 beta 5 for i386 and x86_64

A few comments on the above:  I'm skipping the Debian "etch" RC1 image
because it's from late 2006, and its copy of the 2006 Debian
package-signing key is now invalid (expired).  There will be an RC2
image soon, but not today.  Quoting http://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt:

  On February 7th 2007, the 2006 key expired. Currently the only known
  breakage of this is that it broke rc1 of the etch installer, since the
  installer images only know about the 2006 key. Daily builds of the
  installer have the 2007 key and continue to work.

(That's a little exaggerated:  The only thing that breaks is that the
installed system will refuse to also download updates -- until you
manually fetch the 2007 key.  See above URL for details.)

I've taken all my Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06/6.06.1 "Dapper Drake"
disks out of the CD collection, in favour of the Edgy Eft ones.   Anyone
have a significant problem with that?  I hear gripes about Edgy quality
problems, but haven't encountered same.  Dapper is "LTS" (a Long-Term
Support release) while Edgy isn't, but that doesn't matter much to me.

Sabayon appears to be available in DVD images for i386 and x86_64, and
I'm fetching v. 3.26 of those, but they appear to be available via
Bittorrent only, and sloooow.

I may eventually get around to updating these -- or not.  Anyone care
about particular of them, please speak up:  Mandriva, Slackware, Gentoo,
Zenwalk, Freespire, Puppy Linux, Vector Linux, Dreamlinux, Arch Linux,
SLAX, PC-BSD, Kanotix, Desktop BSD, FreeSBIE, Kurumin, BLAG, Featherlinux