[conspire] Backup

Roger Chrisman roger at rogerchrisman.com
Sat Feb 3 22:59:55 PST 2007

Hi,

Is it risky to run your backup drive in the same server it backs up? How
risky, technically? (Lets pretend these are SCSI drives and without
RAID.)

I have an account, a VHM/cPanel virtual hosting account specifically,
with a smallish (~100 servers running in ThePlanet.com data center in
Dallas) commercial web host (who shall remain nameless) that is doing
the above. They say in a few months they will start rsync'ing those
backup drives to separate internal only backup servers. My bull---t
bell clangs, "Why weren't they doing that originally?" So is my head a
FUD bucket? Ask Conspire! Conspirators, what is your opinion of a small
but growing commercial web host that relies on backup drives (SCSI in
this case and no RAID) that spin in the same server they backup, even
if they do say they plan to implement rsync'ing those to separate
servers in a few months?

No, lets get technical instead. How risky is this practice? On what
technical grounds?

Thanks!
--
Roger Chrisman  :-)          http://Wikigogy.org    -     free resources
                 for teachers of English as a second or foreign language