[conspire] Quick Question 64bit vs 32 bit Kernel

Jose Medeiros jose.medeiros at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 12:46:27 PST 2007

Hi Ross & David,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I realize that this list tends
to focus on Linux. Since Rick runs a Mac Laptop I thought I would also
ask on the Mac version of the command.  I am also quite familiar with
the various versions of Mac OS X and CPU combos over the years having
owned a Centris 650, Umax C500, 7600, Beige g3 and my current
Quicksilver G4 ( I bought used ) , my question is how can I verify
that I am actually using a 32 bit or 64 bit version of the Kernel.
Uname -a only tells you the version number of the Open Darwin kernel
and not whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit ( There may be a list with a
different version number for the 32bit and 64 bit that I am not aware
of). The reason why I ask, is I just helped a friend migrate his data
from an older G4 that died on him to a new Mac Mini with 10.4.11,
which he bought new, so it also came with Leopard but required that I
install as an upgrade. Since Mac OS X 10.4.11 was only 32 bit, does it
upgrade it to a 64 bit edition? Also the Intel core duo is only a
32bit and the core 2 duo is 64 bit, and I some how want to verify what
is installed just for the sake of knowing.

Thanks again for each of your time and responses!

Jose :-)
www.myspace.com/josemedeiros1