[conspire] (forw) Re: Ubuntu 7.10 wifi

Jose Medeiros jose.medeiros at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:15:05 PST 2007

Hi John,

Since you already own the laptop, upgrading is going to cost you a lot
more then $19.00. I believe that the difference in price is only when
ordering the laptop new and selecting the Intel Chipset as the upgrade
option for $19.00.

Your best bet may be to just use an older 802.11B Orinoco card
http://www.benitek.com/special_sales.htm for now at a cost of $9.99,
however it does not support WPA2, but does work with just about every
Linux distro and does support WEP, I have one and have nevewr had any
issue's connecting to Linksys, Cisco AP's, Netgear or Dlink WiFI
routers / bridges.

Although I have not done this,  I would suggest purchasing a copy of
Ubuntu Hacks by Orielly press which explains in detail how to enable
it a NDIS wrapper. This link may also be helpful.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

Good luck with the install!

Jose :)
San Jose, CA