[conspire] got gxine and xine working to play real media files

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 20:16:55 PDT 2007

On 8/27/07, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I finally got gxine and xine to play real media files
> so I don't have to use realplayer!

Hi Darlene,

Thanks for letting me know how you got it working!

It's a good reminder to consider SELinux when using
proprietary multimedia codec packages.

In general, a library requiring text relocation is a potential
security problem. Most open-source libraries don't need
this privilege.

Proprietary libraries, though, are sometimes coded
incorrectly, resulting in them requesting this privilege.

As you've pointed out, you can alter your SELinux
policy to allow the text relocation for those libraries.
Ideally, though, the provider of the proprietary library
should be urged to fix their code.

Cheers,
Peter.