[conspire] Buggy ATI Driver (and others) Leaves Vista Open to Attack

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Aug 29 13:58:55 PDT 2007

begin Adrien Lamothe quotation of Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:35:04AM -0700:
> Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:
>
>     (...which leaves you stuck with whatever vendor you
>     got the Nvidia hardware from, just as if you were
>     running proprietary Unix. For example, IIRC HP
>     has an Nvidia NDA and support contract, and the HP
>     product and service offering seems to make a nice
>     "Unix workstation". Customers won't be able to change
>     the kernel or system software and keep their support,
>     but they don't want to--they just want to run their
>     big 3D apps fast.
>
> Which makes Ubuntu an interesting experiment. Ubuntu is attempting to be the HP
> of white box vendors and so far seems to be making decent progress.

Yes, but do they have any more access to Nvidia
SECRET PROPRIETARY DRIVERS KEEP OUT than you or I do?
Anybody can put unsupported "shovelware" on a CD and
hope it works, but what happens if you have a problem?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org