[conspire] Buggy ATI Driver (and others) Leaves Vista Open to Attack

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 28 13:53:51 PDT 2007

Quoting Adrien Lamothe (a_lamothe at yahoo.com):

> Like I said, they could have done it if they really wanted to.

As *I* said, however, they didn't and won't.  ;->

> At least we can chose not to use Windows. However, an even bigger
> annoyance is all the companies migrating their web apps to the LAMP
> stack, yet insisting to use .NET (we can thank Novell and their GNOMEs
> for that one).

I've not been seeing Mono / C# used anywhere that matters to _me_, yet, but
that's probably a matter of time.  I note:
http://www.mono-project.com/Companies_Using_Mono#Who_uses_Mono.3F

That page features some of the usual Web 2.0 suspects:  Medsphere
(startup in which VA $WHATEVER's Larry Augustin has been involved, and
that has the extremely ugly lawsuit against its founders for an
allegedly unauthorised public release of source code under GPLv2 -- see:
http://lwn.net/Articles/193731/), MindTouch, Mainsoft, Splendid CRM, and
SourceGear.  I'd not heard of the rest, previously (except Novell
itself, of course).

The Mono site mentions that running ASP.NET developed Web code is a
frequent attraction for companies.  Poor bastards.