[conspire] OT freekenneth.com Urgent. Please help. Thanks.

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Mon Aug 27 22:24:24 PDT 2007

Hi Rick - thanks for all your great work on things G/L & Cabally.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:34:05 -0700, "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
said:
> Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):
>
> > The problem is that no one's interested in solely one subject.
> [...]
> > It's perfectly normal to nearly everyone BUT Person 3 that Topic Q is
> > not a pressing issue in their lives.
>
> Thus my suggested heuristic.  In this case:
>
> o  Brief?  Not even close.
> o  Infrequent?  Time will tell.
> o  Humour?  Not.
> o  Non-Annoying?  Alas, probably not for most, who are here for LUG
>    topics, not long political pitches.
> o  Non-contentious?  Possibly.  Risks encouraging worse things.

Really, Rick, I'm thinkng two things:
2) The higher level view of this situation (a maling list for a
community of people united by a common interest in some topic, that
usefully to that community & society in general should enable OT
postings _and_ _OT Discussions_) is that in our real world, someday
there might be created _social_ expectations in concert with new
software that would allow a person to so easily filter out OT stuff that
no listadmins, nor list readers, would give it a second thought if they
encountered something labled "OT" that they weren't interested in. Sort
of maybe "set my threshold for showing me OT posts to only the first OT
& no follow on threading unless I click an "expand this thread" button
to see it."

That would be so easy to implement with even today's sw technology, G/L
sw society should find it so desireable that it would get implemented
post haste.

& it would obsolete all need to have discussions shuch as this thread.

Built into both the social expectiations & the sw would be that there
are OT threads, & _IT AINT NO BIG DEAL TO ANYONE_.

1) (Damn, I forgot this one. Oh, well.)

  john_re at fastmail.us