[conspire] Wanted: Open Source Ultra Sound Software?

George Pope gpope at pcmagic.net
Fri Aug 24 21:13:30 PDT 2007

The other day  when I had a carotid artery scan I asked the Mills
Hospital technician Cindy about the cost of their Acuson Sequoia 180?
$500k! "Proprietary costs" as in pharmaceuticals? I must say that she
took very precise measurements on yours truly (no worries).

I was thinking about African maternal mortality figures that I had seen.
These are usually given on a per 100,000 births basis - 440 in Ghana,
2000 in war ravaged in Sierra Leon! and 12 in the USA. Didn't come
across numbers for war ravaged Iraq.

Terri Davis,  Regional Sales Manager, National Ultrasound emailed that a
refurbished Sequoia 512 might cost $50K and when I called she told me
that a $10k refurbished Sonosite 180 had been recently shipped to
Guatemala.

Still I'm wondering if any of you might know open source programmers who
may either have or who could design lower cost ultra sound software to
run on a hi end Linux laptop (Ms. Davis thought not) that could do the
job done out in the villages? A suitable pediatric probe would of course
have to be included - about $1k. National is adverting a Sonosite 11 mm
broadband curved array pediatric/pediatric cardiac/neonatal
head/vascular that serves the 180, a little more than your average mouse.

In real life problems transcend even these mortality numbers. Brain
damage and many other problems result from birth complications. Add to
this the crash that must occur on the death of a mother in the lives of
surviving children.

My wife supports the Presbyterian Mobile Health Unit in Bolgatanga. This
is in the North, a poorer part of the country. Trained PMH nurses go out
to villages and coach expectant mothers on how to take better care of
themselves and look out for problems the old low tech way - relatively
speaking.

I am convinced that helping illiterate people who make less than a
dollar a day MUST be done on an outreach basis. The nurse has to drive
out there. The problem is poverty caused inertia in rural areas.

There has got to be a world wide market for low cost ultra sound
equipment. The economic future of many countries depends on this.

george

http://www.nationalultrasound.com/Systems/Sonosite-180-Plus.htm

http://www.sonosite.com/news/pbs/

cc: Sonosite hoping these remarks many be helpful.