[conspire] sound prob Ensoniq ES1371 on Fedora 7

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 23 12:02:02 PDT 2007

Heather Stern wrote:
>> Now I cannot hear sound when I use
>> system -> administration -> soundcard detection
>
> I favor aumix, which is text based, as a mixer to mess with the values.
> There is a natural tendency for me to avoid the GUI mode if some basic
> function of the computer isn't working quite up to snuff, since sometimes
> even just adding the GUI changes the dynamic.
>
>> I'm trying to figure out how to get that working
>> again. Then I'll worry about hearing mp3, wav,
>> seeing and hearing youtube.
>
> Anyways I'd play back and forth with aumix or any other suitable text mixer
> until playing raw wav or .au sounds works with play.  You can also cat a
> file into your alleged sound device and listen to the horrible (but
> changing) screech to know that the plain output works.  Some sound files are
> terribly quiet.
>
> There should be a sample WAV of Linux Torvalds saying how he pronounces
> Linux.  It's not been accurate really for some time - he made it when things
> were new - and I've heard him pronounce Linux 4 different ways in the same
> paragraph.  But it's a small sound clip with a decent soundlevel so it
> shouldn't blast you nor convince you that the speaker's not live when it's
> up full blast.
>
> Another good sample sound would be whatever shipped as the startup noise for
> your GUI, even if you don't otherwise prefer to use it.  It's usually a nice
> glissando of some sort.
>
>> Darlene

If the system is not detecting my soundcard, when I
select
System -> Administration -> Soundcard detection

How can I expect to hear sound from any mixer?

I would think I need to get the soundcard detection
working first so my system recoginizes I have a
working soundcard.

Should I just reinstall Fedora 7?

Darlene