[conspire] [Off-topic] Always a bridesmaid...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 2 01:10:09 PDT 2007

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> Rick Moen:
> > http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/jury-duty.html#deux
>
> Huh, so is Torchwood any good?

The first series was very uneven, and most of the first half were not at
all up to the promise of the premier episode.  One episode, around #4 or
so, "Cyberwoman", was especially lamentable, as to a lesser extent was
episode #2, whose name eludes me (but it's common for a series's second
episode to be lame).  The back-half episodes got progressively better.

One thing they had going for them is that producer Russell T. Davies and
his writing staff is that the plots and scripts mostly don't do the
expected.  That was very refreshing, as was a series set in Wales with
no coal miners, men's choruses, sheep farmers, or other misty-eyed
ruralisms.

They're all quirky as hell, though.  Sometimes it works; sometimes it's
just an intriguing failure.

> Word is Martha Jones is being injected into the next season of Torchwood
> to try and save it.

That's logical, but it's really the writers who will make or break it.
I'd heard that a rumour that Russell T. Davies wasn't going to be
involved any more, which strikes me as a bad sign.