[conspire] sound under Debian 4.0r0 on IBM Thinkpad 600?

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Fri Apr 27 11:09:13 PDT 2007

Gents, Ladies,

What Debian-based live CD's do you recommend for me to boot from and
copy sound settings to the configuration files on my Debian 4.0r0 IBM
Thinkpad 600 system?

After a very long time, last year, I finally got sound to work on my IBM
Thinkpad 600 under Debian 3.1r4. It turned out that alsaconf was detect-
ing the sound chip as a cs4232 while it was actually a cs4236 with these
settings required:

    /etc/modprobe.d/sound
    ------------------------------
    alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
    options snd-cs4236 index=0 port=0x530 cport=0x538 isapnp=0 dma1=1 dma2=0 \
    irq=5

Now that I've upgraded from 3.1r4 to 4.0r0 with "apt-get install dist-
upgrade", and then, later, with a fresh install, sound is no longer
working again, and, try as I might, I cannot get it to work.

I don't think it's due to cs4232 having been blacklisted, as I believe
it was blacklisted some two years back.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've installed the alsa-base,
alsa-oss, alsa-utils, and oss-compat packages. alsa, itself, though, is
not installed (alsa-base was selected instead, apt-get informed me).

Thanks for any pointers,
Eric
--
Eric De Mund              |      Ixian Systems      |
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | ICQ: 811788