[conspire] Knoppix Help?

David E. Fox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Tue Apr 17 20:23:16 PDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:02:52 -0700
"Jose F. Medeiros" <jose.medeiros at gmail.com> wrote:

> an individual video driver via rpm, which leads me to believe that
> Video drivers are now modular?

In a sense, they've always been that way, i.e., separate xfree86 (or
x.org) drivers for each type or family of video cards. xorg does things
a bit differently, but the basic idea is that you reconfigure
xfree86/xorg, and it selects the appropriate driver. For ati that would
probably be fglrx something or other. Not having an ATI, I couldn't
tell you the ramifications of each version or what specific driver to
try. But being Knoppix and such, at least one can theoretically do a
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' and obtain the proper driver for the
card at the same time.

dfox at tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.