[conspire] Join my network on LinkedIn

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 25 12:10:30 PDT 2006

Quoting Edward Cherlin (echerlin at gmail.com):

> Rick,
>
> Since you're someone I trust, I'm inviting you to join my network on LinkedIn.
>
> LinkedIn is helping me find connections to people at companies that can really help my career and my non-profit work (currently with the MIT $100 laptop, at www.laptop.org--a global network of hardware, Linux and education geeks). It's amazing how much further your network reaches each time you connect with someone new.
>
> It's free to sign up and join my network, and it only takes a minute.
>
> - Edward
>
> PS: Here is the link:
> https://www.linkedin.com/[RM: snipped]
>
> It is free to join and takes less than 60 seconds to sign up.
>
> This is an exclusive invitation from Edward Cherlin to Rick Moen.  For security reasons, please do not forward this invitation.

One of the many, _many_ things that creep me out concerning LinkedIn
is the fact that I know you _didn't write_ most of that "personalised"
message:  About 95% of it is boilerplate marketing text from
LinkedIn management, filled in with a small amount of detail prompted
from you, to make it look less like a computer-generated sales pitch.

Anyway, please read here, for why I will have nothing to do with
LinkedIn or with anything like it:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/winolj.html

(No offence intended or taken.)